Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Owl Themed Nursery Decor

As you may have noticed owl themed decorations are a big trend these past few years. When I first noticed this theme I found myself questioning it, "Really?? Owls??? Why owls??" I saw them all over Etsy and I just didn't get it.

I recall from my childhood that owls were a big theme, too, and I noticed that many artists and crafters were recreating that 70's style owl theme. I wasn't crazy about that retro style so I assume that's what caused me to scratch my head in confusion as to why this theme was so popular. But finally the day came when I had to face the fact that I didn't have a choice and I had to work with this theme. You see, I was presented with a request from a customer to create a growth chart with an owl theme. My customer requested that the growth chart have girly pastel colors which set my mind at ease. Using the browns and the oranges from the retro style just wasn't for me. It was then that I realized that if I put my own spin on the theme I could make it more fun, whimsical and child-like.

After I began painting this theme grew on me. And grew. And soon after I became hooked!

Here's a photo of the growth chart...

Then as fate would have it I got another order for an owl themed baby name sign and nursery decoration. This one was a little different. My customer requested that the setting have a night sky and she requested that I paint snow owls in the trees. "Oh how fun!" I thought to myself. Here's how that one turned out...

Then as expected shortly after that order was completed and shipped I got another custom size owl themed sign. this one was made for a teacher named Mrs. Hooten. With a name like that an owl theme was necessary! This customer requested that her sign be painted in bright tropical colors. Woohoo! Again I was so excited! I love, love, love to paint in bright colors! I shared this sign in a blog post last year but here it is again...I just love this one!

So as you can see I've developed a love for owl themed décor and while I can create this theme for a baby's nursery I will gladly find a fun way to adapt it to something for any age.

Okay, peeps (pun intended)! I better run now. Lots on my 'to do' list for today. I'll be back soon with more fun! Until then,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...